I am a director of research at ENPC ParisTech, France. I also supervise a research group at TU Graz, Austria. Before that, I was a full professor at the Institute for Computer Graphics and Vision, Graz University of Technology, and before that, a senior researcher at CVLab, EPFL, Switzerland.
My research focuses on 3D scene understanding. More exactly, I aim at reducing as much as possible the guidance a system needs to learn new 3D objects and new 3D environments: How can we remove the need for training data for each new 3D problem? Currently, even self-supervised methods often require CAD models, which are not necessarily available for any type of object. This question has both theoretical implications and practical applications, as the need for training data, even synthetic, is often a deal breaker for non-academic problems.
Current PhD students
- Sinisa Stekovic
- Shreyas Hampali
- Hugo Germain
- Michael Ramamonjisoa
- Yuming Du
- Philippe Chiberre
- Van Nguyen Nguyen
Former PhD students and postdocs
- Giorgia Pitteri, Researcher at Robominds, Munich;
- Alexander Grabner, Scientist at Amazon Prime Air;
- Bugra Tekin, Researcher at Microsoft Zurich;
- Kwang Moo Yi, Assistant Professor at the University of British Columbia.
- Anil Armagan, Research Associate at Huawei Noah’s Ark London;
- Markus Oberweger, Researcher at Naked Labs, Graz;
- Paul Wohlhart, Researcher, X, Mountain View;
- Artem Rozantsev, Researcher at Nvidia Zurich;
- Amos Sironi, Researcher at Prophesee, Paris;
- Alberto Crivellaro, S&H, Lombardy;
- Kevin Smith, Associate Professor at KTH, Stockholm;
- Tomasz Trzcinski, Assistant Professor at Warsaw University and CEO at comexifi.ai;
- Julien Pilet, Founder of anemomind and opticode, Lausanne;
- Mustafa Özuysal, Assistant Professor at the Izmir Institute of Technology;
- Ali Shahrokni, Senior Researcher at MagicLeap, Mountain View;
- Luca Vacchetti, Founder of Qualivision, Alba.