I am a professor at ENPC ParisTech, France. Before that, I was a full professor at the Institute for Computer Graphics and Vision, TU Graz, Austria and before that, a senior researcher at CVLab, EPFL, Switzerland.
My research focuses on 3D scene understanding. More exactly, I aim at reducing as much as possible the guidance a system needs to learn new 3D objects and new 3D environments: How can we remove the need for training data for each new 3D problem? Currently, even self-supervised methods often require CAD models, which are not necessarily available for any type of object. This question has both theoretical implications and practical applications, as the need for training data, even synthetic, is often a deal breaker for non-academic problems.
I received the Koenderick “test-of-time” award at the European Conference on Computer Vision 2020 for “Brief: Binary Robust Independent Elementary Features”. I often serve as an area chair of the major computer vision conferences: CVPR, ICCV, ECCV, ACCV, BMVC and as an editor for PAMI and IJCV.
Former PhD students and postdocs
- Shreyas Hampali, Scientist at Meta Zurich;
- Philippe Chiberre, Senior Computer Vision and Machine Learning Researcher at Lynx Mixed Reality;
- Michael Ramamonjisoa, Research Engineer at Meta AI;
- Mahdi Rad, Scientist at Microsoft Zurich;
- Hugo Germain, Scientist at Apple Zurich;
- Giorgia Pitteri, Researcher at Robominds, Munich;
- Alexander Grabner, Scientist at Amazon Prime Air;
- Bugra Tekin, Researcher at Meta Zurich;
- Kwang Moo Yi, Assistant Professor at the University of British Columbia.
- Anil Armagan, Research Associate at Huawei Noah’s Ark London;
- Markus Oberweger, Researcher at Naked Labs, Graz;
- Paul Wohlhart, Researcher, X, Mountain View;
- Artem Rozantsev, Researcher at Nvidia Zurich;
- Amos Sironi, Researcher at Prophesee, Paris;
- Alberto Crivellaro, S&H, Lombardy;
- Kevin Smith, Associate Professor at KTH, Stockholm;
- Tomasz Trzcinski, Associate Professor at Warsaw University and CEO at comexifi.ai;
- Julien Pilet, Founder of anemomind and opticode, Lausanne;
- Mustafa Özuysal, Assistant Professor at the Izmir Institute of Technology;
- Ali Shahrokni, Senior Researcher at MagicLeap, Mountain View;
- Luca Vacchetti, Founder of Qualivision, Alba.